My name is Kristin and this is my blog. I was born in California, requested transfer to Australia, and through a bureaucratic f*ck-up was dumped by the Universe in the middle of the Midwestern Plains. I've been plotting my escape for the past 12 years. Apparently, I'm not very good at it.
I'm a nonprofit professional who works too many hours, a mother, a sometimes world traveler, a neglectful housekeeper and a dreamer extraordinaire. I write around the corners of all of this.
When I started this blog I wrote mostly humor. In August of 2010, I was assaulted in my home by my then-husband. Two weeks later he came under criminal investigation for child pornography. Those two events threw my life into a tailspin. It was a long, dark three years. He was finally convicted and incarcerated in May, 2013. You can read the whole story here.
Going through all of this, while painful and frightening, proved to be an awakening for me. I learned to speak my truth, to stand my ground, and to value myself. For those gifts I am grateful.
I believe most of us spend our lives laboring under the misconception that we are not quite worth all the things we dare to wish for ourselves. We are worth that, and so much more.
I am now beginning a new chapter of my life. I am not sure exactly where it will lead, but to be on the safe side I’ve left explicit, bullet-point instructions for the Universe, along with a detailed map. And brownies.
* * *
Here are some things I’ve been a part of that make me happy:
- The Healing through Storytelling blog directory, where readers can easily locate and connect with bloggers who write about a variety of challenging life experiences such as illness, grief, addiction, trauma and abuse.
- Speak Out, a social media campaign to drive awareness of domestic violence.
- Senior executive in a regional domestic violence services agency. I am honored to work among so many beautiful souls.
- Voice of the Year and keynote speaker at the 2011 Australian Bloggers Conference in Sydney.
- Circle of Mom’s 2011 Top 10 Most Inspiring Blogs.
- Contributor, along with Morgan Freemen, Ed Burns, Mehmet Oz (and a bunch of non-celebrity folk), to the upcoming book Bucket Lists, by Justin Zackham, the screenwriter who wrote the movie The Bucket List. I was asked to contribute to the book as a result of my advocacy work in the area of domestic violence, by which I am very flattered.
- I am currently collecting stories for a book about women who have experienced sexual or domestic violence, and gone on to survive and heal and thrive. I think the world needs more resources for women who have lived through this darkness.
- Kitten wrangler.
- This list would probably be longer if I would stay off Candy Crush and Facebook.
PR Peeps: As a rule, I don’t do sponsored posts. I will work on collaborative projects that support charitable causes. I would consider occasional giveaways if the products are of especial interest to my readers (examples would be chocolate, vodka and free babysitting) or myself (examples would be chocolate and trips to Australia).
I also do speaking engagements on topics related to storytelling, advocacy and domestic violence. You can reach me at pr @ kristinbrumm.com.
For all other inquiries: info @ kristinbrumm.com.